After formulating a clearly defined plan for a gap analysis, the next logical step is to conduct the gap analysis. The gap analysis will shed additional light on the details of the current-state workflow and provide directions for transitioning into the future-state workflow.
At this stage in the Course Project, you will conduct your gap analysis, which you planned throughout Weeks 3–5. You will also finalize your draft of the current-state workflow in Visio using the information you collect during your gap analysis.
To prepare for Part 2 of the Course
- Review your Gap Analysis Plan (Part 1 of the Course Project) and prepare any necessary recording documents and meeting/observation arrangements with the individuals involved in the workflow.
- Conduct the gap analysis. Observe and consult with individuals in your organization who are involved in the workflow.
- Analyze the data you gathered and whether or not it meets the goals and objectives you set in your Gap Analysis Plan (Part 1 of the Course Project) (See attached file).
- Interpret the meanings and implications of the data you collected. Consider how the workflow issues relate to electronic health records (EHRs) and one or more specific meaningful use objectives.
- Examine your Visio draft of the current-state workflow. Consider how the draft aligns with the data you collected in your gap analysis. You will also receive feedback from your colleagues in Week 6.
- Begin revising your Visio draft of the current-state workflow based on your gap analysis. Remember to update the information in the swimlane. In addition, prepare to write a detailed description of your Visio workflow.