rs121908702 Please comment on this mutation in your case study report.
Prostate cancer (brief background)
Thesis statement of the conducted tests.
Discussion: (2000 words)
Analysis of laboratory findings.
Discussion of the significance of the full range of results. Do not include the table… use it in written words.
Urea 18 mmol Ref(3.6 – 7.1 mmol) abnormal
Creatinine clearance 79.35 ml/min Ref (70-75 ml/min) abnormal
Alkalinephosphate 112 IU/L Ref(30-90 IU/L) abnormal
Bilirubin 96.9 umol/L Ref( up to 20) abnormal
Bacteria Culture • Bacterial identification using Gram stain, different biochemical tests and antibiotic disk gives an evidence of P.mirabilis presence
Histology Haematoxylin and Eosin section obtained by Fine Needle Biopsy. Histologically we belive that it is an Intraductal carcinoma: solid growth of malignant
cells with marked nuclear atypia-
Peripheral Blood Film red cell rouleaux,possible moderate leukocytosis but clearly features of leukoerythroblastic features-namely myelocytes, promyleocytes and
occasional blast cells. I did not see any but I also beleive there are nucleated Red Blood Cells present but in small numbers. There is no eidence of pronounced
PSA 55 ng/ml Ref( below 4.0 ng/ml) abnormal
PT Patient(45 second) Control (45 second) Abnormal
PTT Pstient(120 second) Control ( 35 second) abnormal
Thrombin time Patient( 50 second) Control (15 second) abnormal
Explaining the pathophysiology that resulted from the prostate cancer that have led to for the abnormal result, for example (use as a hints):
• enlargement of the prostate caused urethra obstruction that have created an environment for the bacteria (P.mirabilis) that might have caused the stones by
releasing an enzyme called urease that breakdown the urea which result in a residue that form the stone in the kidney.
• Rising of Creatinine clearance could indicate stage 3 moderately decreased GFR or kidney failure (how that links with result and prostate cancer and urine
• ALK rise could indicate cancer metastasis.
• Disseminated intravascular coagulation in relation to prostatic carcinoma.
• Each result should be explained in the relation to the prostate cancer.
Conclusion (400 words):
• A sum up for the case.
• Further possible laboratory test that will help in the identification ( please note do not mention other medical tests such as CT,MRI ..etc)
Please try to link symptoms, signs and laboratory tests result with the case in front of you and note that the range of lab tests we had is not sufficient to make a
definitive decision so we might need to ask for further test.
The case study report should contain the following;-
• Details of case study i.e. clinical history.
• An outline of the laboratory investigation.
• Analysis of laboratory findings.
• Discussion of the significance of the full range of results.
• Suggestions for additional (confirmatory) tests
• Appendix: sample details and method sheets