Choose one of the prompts below. Write an essay in FIVE pages, double-spaced and typed (Times font; 12 points).
Due: by 11:59 pm on April 29 (Saturday). Save the essay in the format in doc or docx and upload the essay electronically to Canvas via turnitin.
Any essay turned in later than the due time will be marked down (B+ to B, for example) each day including weekends. Essays turned in FOUR days later (including weekend) than the due date will not be accepted.
- must use Bentley’s textbook for each of your chosen topic;
- use at least one primary document as evidence to prove your views/ arguments; should not just mention the name of the document but should use the words or paraphrase the document in a specific way. You should also explain the source (date, author, themes); give your source of the document. If you choose the film topic, you do not have to use any primary document—where you obtain it;
- use at least one image as a primary source—give your analysis / explanation of the image; use it to support/ illustrate your views / argument. Place the image at the end of the essay. Images will be in addition to the required pages; give your source of the image—where you obtain it;
- give a title to your essay; insert page numbers;
- use footnotes or endnote, or in-text notes for quotes or any specific ideas you get from your sources; specify page numbers;
- give a bibliography at the end.
You are welcome to ask me any questions you have about the papers.
- Imagine you are a visitor from one of the early six complex societies to another. The early complex societies refer to those covered in Bentley’s part I (chapters 2-6) — NOT in part II, which refer to the Classical societies. You can be in any occupation or position (for example king, official, religious leader, merchant, soldier, or slave) or either gender. Write a letter back home telling your relative or friend or colleague about what life was like in that society from a comparative point of view (similarities and differences as compared with your owns). You could focus on a few aspects of the society. Be sure to give evidence. Be sure to place each in its specific cultural, geographical, and historical contexts.
- Write a comparative essay between two of the early six complex societies. The early complex societies refer to those covered in Bentley’s part I (chapters 2-6) — NOT in part II, which refer to the Classical societies. You should provide more in-depth analysis than your group presentation. Give evidence. Focus on a few aspects. Be sure to place each in its specific cultural, geographical, and historical contexts.
- Compose a dialogue between Hammurabi and Chinese legalists Shang Yang and Han Fei or the First Emperor of the Qin dynasty on their basic ideas and practice regarding laws. Or write a comparative essay on Hammurabi and his rule of law and Legalism in China (theory and practice). Be sure to place each society in its specific cultural, geographical, and historical contexts. You are to use these sources: scanned: “Code of Hammurabi;” scanned” “Legalism in Theory and Practice;” and Bentley’s chapters 2 and 8.
- Provide an analysis of one of the films from the list of the film group presentations. Use at lease one image; use Bentley’s for background; the film would be your primary document for analysis. Must provide citations for any ideas / unusual information that you find.
|Grammar and style 20
|Organization; effective topic sentences for major paragraphs 20
|makes informed specific, accurate reference to the primary sources; proper citations. If you choose film, this would be your primary document. 20
|makes informed, accurate reference to images; proper citations 10
|makes informed, accurate reference to Bentley’s; proper citations 20
|accurate and appropriate comparisons: similarities and differences; or critiques; analysis 30
|be clear of historical context; 20
|level of critical thinking 20
|Total Points: 160