You will prepare an APA-style research paper (3 pages for body, cover page and reference page for total of 5 pages to discuss energy topics, as follows:
- In your own words, describe the laws of thermodynamics.
- Explain how these scientific laws apply to energy use, energy conversions, and the need for energy efficiency.
- Describe the pros and cons of the following energy types, writing 1 paragraph for each:
- Fossil fuel: Oil, natural gas, and coal
- Nuclear energy
- Solar energy
- Wind power
- Water (hydro) power
- Bioconversion (biofuel)
- Research and describe 2 provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005.
- Describe each provision, and provide your opinion about how each provision helps the United States meet energy use goals.
- Why is there confusion (legally and in the eyes of consumers) surrounding terms used on labels (like “all natural”)?2. What is the definition of greenwashing? How does it apply both to companies and to everyday consumers?3. Is there a clear definition of a “green product”? Is there a clear definition of a “green business”?
4. When did pollution control really begin in this country?5. Define: biomimicry, green chemistry and industrial ecology6. What was the ISO 14001?7. What is the eco-Hippocratic oath?8. Why is it more difficult to deal with environmental problems today than it was, say, in the 1960s?9. Throughout the book, we heard time and time again that companies very often don’t talk about their green initiatives. Why not?
10. What is LEED certification?11. What would the benefits be of company calling itself “green”?12. How trusting are consumers of companies’ “green” claims?13. What are some examples of what companies have done to go green?