The strict regimentation at fast food restaurants creates standardized products. It increases the throughput. And it gives fast food companies an enormous amount of power over their employees. “When management determines exactly how every task is to be done . . . and can impose its own rules about pace, output, quality, and technique,” the sociologist Robin Leidner has noted, “[it] makes workers increasingly interchangeable.” The management no longer depends upon the talents or skills of its workers—those things are built into the operating system and machines. The testimonial evidence in this excerpt is effective because it makes an emotional protest against the fast food industry’s treatment of employees. includes an expert opinion supporting the claim that the fast food industry resembles the manufacturing business. describes a personal experience of what it is like to work in a fast food restaurant. provides a technical explanation of the standardized procedures and equipment used in fast food restaurants.
- The number of cubic units needed to fill the space inside a three-dimensional figure is called the________?
- Q: Chinese leaders have been able to do all of the following since the death of Mao Zedong EXCEPT A. open China to capital investments and the global economy. B. reestablish a democratic government. C. r
- Q: The diagram represents the enlargement of a rectangle by using a scale factor of 6. mc014-1.jpg What are the dimensions of the original rectangle? 5 feet by 1 foot 5 feet by 6 feet 25 feet by 1 foot
- Q: An owl and a bat share the same kingdom and phylum; an owl and a robin share the same kingdom, phylum, and class. Which of the following statements is correct?
- Q: After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn’t? I started out with a question: What causes yo
- Q: Which statement BEST supports the theme of the passage? A) Life is full of surprises. B) Fishing is great in Greenville. C) People should be careful not to say hurtful things to those they love. D) It
- Q: 1. Researchers are interested in determining whether more women than men prefer the beach to the mountains. In a random sample of 200 women, 45% prefer the beach, whereas in a random sample of 300 men