A 56-year-old patient with newly diagnosed stage I hypertension has been referred to you for counseling regarding lifestyle modifications. He is married, with four children––two in high school, two in college. His job as a senior vice-president for a major retail chain requires that he work long hours and frequently eat at restaurants. He smokes two packs of cigarettes a day, has a body mass index (BMI) of 29 kg/m2, and a waist–hip ratio of 1.6. He usually drinks one to two dry martinis to relax after he gets home from work.
In your initial post answer the following questions:
- How would you develop a realistic plan to help this patient reduce his blood pressure and prevent complications?
- Which risk factors would be among your top two or three priorities for this patient, and what interventions or recommendations would you provide for modifying these?
- Write 550-word summary analyzing three of the core competencies of advanced practice nursing and how they relate to professional organizations and professional development.
Consider the following questions in your summary:
1. Why are the selected competencies important?
2. How will mastery of the competencies improve your practice?
3. How can you continue to develop the competencies after graduation?
Other instructions: Cite and reference using APA guidelines. Master level writing. Follow the questions when doing the summary.