wk 1 Discussion 1
Core Competencies (graded)
Core competencies are important to training and development teams in human resource management groups. Review the lecture this week and the information about Fermilab, the governmental body that is discussed there. There are seven core competencies listed in the lecture and on the Fermilab website. Let’s talk about core competencies and ways of determining them for your company. To start, either discuss the Fermilab core competencies and what you think they mean to employees and employers or review the mission statement of a company where you work or one you have researched online, and provide your thoughts on some of the core competencies that you would expect to find in that company.
HRM 420 DeVry Week 1 Discussion 2
ADDIE and Training (graded)
ADDIE training is discussed in the lecture and will be utilized throughout the course to help you organize your thoughts about training. Let’s talk about ADDIE and also about training you may have taken part in at your current work, previous work, or even at school. To start, here are three questions (pick either 1 and 3, or 2 and 3, and then respond to a classmate’s post as well):
- Think about and describe briefly one of the best training sessions you have been involved with in the past or currently. What made it good? Did you find it improved your ability to do your job?
- Think about and describe briefly one of the worst training sessions you have been involved with in the past or currently. What made it so bad? Did you find it did nothing to assist you with your job? Or if it did assist you, why didn’t you to think it was good training?
- How did the trainer’s personality impact your answer to No. 1 or 2 above?
Your instructor will provide further direction on this as we move through the week.
HRM 420 DeVry Week 2 Discussion 1
SWOT Analysis (graded)
Review the lecture discussing SWOT analysis before attempting to post to the thread. Then, please review the 10-K and/or current event information about a publicly traded organization. The Assignments page gives a link to the McDonald’s 10-K for 2012, but to find a 10-K, simply use the search engine of your choice, and in the query box, type in the name of the publicly traded company and 10-K. Review the first few sections of the 10-K and consider the statements there. Using the SWOT analysis format, create a mini-SWOT analysis based on the company’s 10-K and post here. Your SWOT should be posted by Wednesday. Then respond to at least two of your classmates’ SWOTs with at least two ideas on training needs that you think may exist based on your classmates’ SWOT analysis. Respond back to anyone who posts to your SWOT. Your instructor will participate as well and may have more questions. Your post should include the following.
- The name and ticker symbol of your company
- The link where you found the 10-K (use the most recent one for your company available)
- Information for your analysis organized under these headings (about three to four bullets each)
HRM 420 DeVry Week 2 Discussion 2
Needs Assessment (graded)
Review this article.
Lucier, K. H. (2008). A consultative training program: Collateral effect of a needs assessment. Communication Education. 57(4), 482–489. doi:10.1080/03634520802094305 (Academic Search Complete database) Instructions on how to locate this article are on the Assignments page.
In your initial post, answer these questions based on your opinion of the actions of Lucier in the article, and utilize at least one concept from Chapter 3 of the textbook in analyzing the method Lucier used for needs assessment at the bank.
- What was the initial reason that Lucier was called in to consult with the bank’s employees and manager? Do you feel this is in line with a traditional style of conducting a training needs assessment? Why or why not? (Opinions on this will vary; include at least one statement by Noe in your answer to support your opinion.)
- Explain one needs assessment method that Lucier used to conduct her needs assessment. State how she did this, and whether you feel this was an appropriate or inappropriate method considering the job she was asked to do for the project. If appropriate, why do you think that way? If inappropriate, which method would you have tried and why?
Throughout the week, your instructor will ask you more questions about needs assessment. Respond to your classmates’ original posts as well with thoughtful follow-up questions to their considerations.