For all Assessments, the following general requirements hold:
(1) Assignments should be 2-3 double-spaced pages, with reasonable (12 pt.) font and reasonable (1 inch) margins.
(2) Citations to the material are required; in-text citations are preferred (MLA style).
(3) Assignments should be turned into eCampus (for the collection of artifacts for scoring).
SLO #1: Civil Rights versus Civil Liberties. 70% of students will successfully analyze the nuances between civil liberties and civil rights, as well as how the judicial branch interprets them. [SLO #1 fulfills the following Program Level Outcomes: Communication, Critical Thinking, Social and Personal Responsibility, as well as the following Course Level Outcomes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8.]
Activity for Assessment:
Civil liberties and civil rights are mechanical components that have tremendous influence on the way we live our life. Each category can be applied in different situations, to identify different experiences for each individual. People in the USA are beginning to question whether democracy is worth fighting for as more instances are identified in which human beings find themselves ‘above the law’.
In chapters 4 and 5, we have explored the evolution of civil liberties and civil rights in America. Our ideas of what these concepts mean change over time, as new issues and problems challenge our thinking.
For this assignment, I want you to understand the difference between civil rights and liberties and then look at contemporary areas of CONFLICT between civil rights and civil liberties. We are going to focus in on the 4th Amendment.
First, watch this video before starting your research: http://www.pbs.org/video/crash-course-government-23/
Then, research and consider each of the following for your paper:
- What is the difference between civil right and civil liberties?
- How have the courts ruled on them throughout history?
- Does the Terry Stop violate a person’s rights? Explain. Do we have any inherent (Constitutional) privacy rights that would protect us from these type of issues? How has the Supreme Court decided on the following, with regards to our rights?
- Read the article in the attached link regarding Stop and Frisk lly-cops-habit-of-fondling-black-men-sparks-greatest-1795698954
- GPS Surveillance on a suspect’s vehicle without their knowledge. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- Using drug-sniffing dogs in the front yard around someone’s home. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- DUI checkpoints. Is a search warrant required? Explain.
- Does profiling take place? Based on your research, how do you think profiling may impact law enforcement decisions? Are there any potentialities of violating our civil liberties or civil rights with regards to this profiling? What has the Supreme Court decided in cases that have been brought before them on this issue?
- What are your final thoughts with regards to civil rights and civil liberties? Do you feel they are in-tact or starting to dismantle? Explain.
This assignment must follow MLA guidelines, be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and be a minimum of 1000 words with a works cited page. The works cited are not included in the minimum word count. Any videos/ articles given in the assignment prompt MUST be used within your paper and cited in your works cited. You must also use additional sources, as indicated in the prompt. For more information on these topics, view the 4th Amendment folder in the current news and controversies folder, under Student Resources.