Each week, you’ll have to post on at least three separate days to the Discussion. Each post should be of a high quality. Your first post should be by Wednesday.
Here is the first question on the Discussion page:
The regulation of pesticides occurs under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act. Pesticides are used in abundance for many different reasons, many of which, have a high risk impact to human health. Use this assignment to familiarize yourself with the risks of pesticides and the regulations that govern them. Please respond to the following:
- What are considered to be the reasonable and unreasonable risks of pesticides?
- Reviewing the list of considered pesticides in your textbook, were you surprised by any of the items? Please list the items and why you were surprised to see them categorized as a pesticide.
- Using the Internet, look up one case that involves pesticides. List the case name, the gist of the case, pesticide involved, and the court decision.
Nonpoint source pollution (NPS) refers to a variety of sources of water pollution including fertilizer and pesticide runoff, leakage from underground storage tanks, storm water and parking lot runoffs, acid rain, vehicle fluids, road salt, trash and animal waste. NPS is the largest contributor to water pollution, but CWA regulation of these sources is minimal. Instead, states are charged with responsibility to regulate NPS.
This assignment has two parts:
First, answer the following questions:
- Look up the Consumer Confidence Report for your local system at http://www.epa.gov/safewater/dwinfo.htm. Is there anything to worry about?
- Now look up information about your specific water system at http://www.epa.gov/enviro/html/sdwis/sdwis_query.html. Do these two reports support or contradict one another? Do they give you confidence in the quality of your local water supply?
- If a community finds it impractical to meet increasingly stringent standards for a drinking water pollutant (e.g., arsenic), should it be able to retain existing standards? In your response, consider the opportunity costs for a community investing in expensive upgrading of its water treatment system.
The second part of the assignment requires you to research and analyze the following case: Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago v. North American Galvanizing and Coatings, Inc., 05-3299 (2007)
- Prepare a brief of the case. (See the Legal Writing Resources Page for guidance.)
- This assignment should be free of spelling and grammar errors.
- You will be assessed on the nature and scope of your research and response.
- Your response must cite any supporting material from the text, lecture or other sources you have used to complete the assignment.
- You may use your text and/or Internet sources as a reference, but remember to cite all sources according to Bluebook guidelines.
Submit this assignment by following this button: