Directions: Answer the following questions. Your response to each should be at least one half of one page in length and use APA guidelines for formatting and citations.
- Name some of the various ways that fires are classified.
- What are the elements of the crime of arson?
- Name some of the special challenges that investigators face at an arson scene.
- What are some items of concern that first responders should be conscious of while approaching a fire scene?
- List several of the more common burn indicators found at a fire scene and their importance to investigators.
- Describe the two-part warrant process that is required by the U.S. Supreme Court for investigating fires involving crime.
- Why would an investigator use a K-9 in an arson investigation?
- Summarize the Model Arson Law.
- When responding to a fire scene, what should an officer observe, note and record?
- Describe how to find the point of origin in a fire and what it can reveal to the investigator.
PART II: Journal Activity
Directions: In a 2 to 4 page essay using APA guidelines for formatting and citations, please answer the prompt below. Be sure to answer each of the questions within your essay.
You are an officer with a collateral assignment as an arson/bomb investigator. You have been called to assist fire investigators in a suspected arson involving an explosive device as the ignition source.
- What are the first steps you must take?
- What resources are available to you?
- What “tools” will you need for this investigation?
- What information do you need?
- Which investigation takes priority and why?