1. What is the definition of law?
2. List as many of the purposes and functions of law as possible?
3. Describe and compare the main sources of law?
4. What are the differences between civil and criminal court cases?
5. What are the differences between trial courts and appellate courts?
6. Compare federal and state courts?
7. What is jurisdiction and why is it important?
8. What is Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and why do so many cases settle instead of going through entire litigation process?
9. What constitutional provisions are most important in Business Law?
10. What are torts? What are the different types/categories of torts?
11. Why is proving cause-in-fact and proximate cause often a problem in torts?
12. What is the difference between CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES and PUNITIVE DAMAGES?
13. What are “white collar crimes” How do they compare with street crimes?
14. What is intellectual property and why is it important?
15. What are the forms of legal protection for I.P and what are the differences between them?
16. Is legal protection of I.P good for regular people, or just for the wealthy? Explain
17. What is “causation” and what is the difference between “cause in fact” and “proximate cause”?
18. In your own words, what is a contract?
19. Why are contracts important in Businesses?
20. What are all of the official elements of a legally binding contract? Explain each of them.
21. What is the “objective theory of contracts”? Why is it important?
22. What is the difference between “bilateral” and “unilateral” contracts?
23. Explain “offer”, “acceptance”, “counter offer”, “rejection” and “agreement”
24. Under what circumstances do rewards, advertisements, and auctions result in contracts?
25. What is the difference between output and requirements contracts?
26. What is promissory estoppel? Why is it important?
27. What situation causes a person to lack CONTRACTUAL CAPACITY?
28. What types of contract are void as against public policy of law?
29. How does mistake affect whether there is genuine assent/agreement?
30. How does FRAUD, DURESS, OR UNDUE INFLUENCE affect a contract?
31. What is the statue of frauds? What types of contract must be in writing?
32. What are the remedies available in cases of breach of contract?
33. What are “liquidated damages”?
34. When is “specific performance” an option?
35. What Is the “duty to mitigate” and why is it important?
36. What are the purposes of “licensing”, “child labor”, “unemployment comp.” and “min wage” laws?
37. Are these laws effective in achieving their purposes? Are there any disadvantages?
38. What Is the Equal Employment Commission (EEOC) and what does it do?
39. Describe the main provisions of the civil rights act of 1964.
40. What is the difference between Disparate Treatment and Disparate Impact Discrimination? How does a person prove each type?
41. What types of actions can constitute Sexual Harrasment?
42. What are the main defenses to a Title VII case?
43. What are Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications (BFOQ) and how do they affect cases of age, sex, religion, and national origin discrimination?
44. What are the key characteristics of a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP?
45. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a sole proprietorship?
46. What types of situation would be most appropriate for this type of business organizations?
47. Same questions, but for a GENERAL PARTNERSHIP?
48. When would someone choose to structure their business as a general partnership instead of a sole proprietorship or vice versa?
49. What are the key characteristics of a LIMITED PARTNERSHIP?
50. How do the rights, duties, and liabilities of limited partners differ from those of general partners?
51. In what situations would a limited partnership be a good choice?
52. What are the similarities and differences of a sole proprietorship, a general partnership, and a limited partnership?
53. What are the distinctive features of a CORPORATION?
1. What is the definition of law?