Prompting questions, set 3
• What influence does the type of dementia have on the onset, progression
and prognosis of the condition?
• What factors contribute to the likelihood of aggressive behaviour in people
• Identify what community resources are available in your community to
answer Matilda’s questions.
• What could account for the changes in Alex’s continence issues?
What resources and advice could be made available to Alex in his own
• How would you as a health professional support Matilda’s plans to travel to
Matilda did explore the information and community resources available to
her and Alex. She found that the carers’ support group was very welcoming
and good at sharing helpful information.
The continence nurse specialist did an assessment and Alex was found to be
constipated, with some faecal overflow, and his dietary habits and exercise
regime were adjusted under her supervision.
Mary Jo became a regular visitor and support to her grandmother. The
range of topics that they discussed together expanded and sometimes even
surprised Mary Jo.
What you need to do to meet your learning outcomes
? Explore these websites
Explore the following websites, which provide information about dementia.
Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing 2007, Dementia,
AIHW 2007, Dementia in Australia: national data analysis and development,
AIHW Cat. No. AGE 53, AIHW, Canberra,
Dementia Training Study Centres: http://www.dtsc.com.au/
Bridges-Webb, C & Wolk, J 2003, Care of patients with dementia in general
practice: guidelines, NSW Department of Health, Sydney,
Dementia Care Australia: http://www.dementiacareaustralia.com
Alzheimer’s Australia: http://www.alzheimers.org.au