You will choose a topic/issue in human growth and development – it may be an issue discussed in class, or one of your own choosing. It may NOT be a topic that you have previously completed a project on.
- Identify the issue and the developmental stage to which the issue is most relevant (some issues may touch several developmental stages, but please focus on just one stage for this assignment).
- Connect this issue to a developmental theory or framework discussed in class, and explain how this theory is related to the issue.
- Explore the growth or development issue in greater depth – use the research plan to guide your research and help focus your topic to determine what aspect of the topic you will examine.
- You will present the results of your research (which may include primary sources such as surveys, questionnaires and interviews as well as secondary sources) in both an oral presentation and written presentation. You will choose how your work will be divided between these two components.
PRODUCT: There is a written and oral component to this product. The general expectation is a 5-7 minute presentation, and a written product that represents an approximately 2000 word essay.
You may choose to scale up or down in terms of your oral presentation – a longer oral presentation will result in a smaller written product and a shorter oral presentation will result in a larger written product. If you chose to demonstrate your learning with a product that is more of a “thing” you will need to provide a smaller written component outlining the theoretical connections.
You will meet with your instructor to decide (in writing) what your written/oral division will be and what the expectations for the written product will be.
Your product may be one of the following:
- 2000 word essay
- artwork & explanation
- learning activity for the class
- a review of a selection of articles