Use of Information Resources
Analyze and assess the communication dynamics of an organization
Apply communication theories to organizational communication challenges
Consultation – The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders.
All organizations have communication challenges. How do you identify and address these issues as a HR professional or consultant? How can your organization overcome this challenge and improve the communication flow?
In this project, you will use a diagnostic tool called a communication audit in order to assess organizational communication within an organization of your choice.
- Administer the communication audit survey in your organization. In order to obtain valid results, you want to survey between 15-20 people. You may print out the survey and distribute it in person for completion, or you may administer it online, for example, using Survey Monkey or Google Forms. The survey includes questions that tap into five different areas of organizational communication: (1) Receiving information from others, (2) Sending information to others, (3) Sources of information, (4) Timeliness of information, and (5) Channels of communication. Within these five areas of organizational communication, identify one major area of concern to address based on the responses from the survey.
- You will then analyze and synthesize the results of the data obtained from your audit effort.
- Based on the communication audit identify one critical communication challenge that needs to be addressed within your organization. Research the scholarly literature for recommendations about how the organization can address this issue.
- Participate in the discussions by reflecting on your work and sharing feedback with others in the class.
- Create and deliver a presentation that provides the results of your audit with suggestions for improvement based on the data obtained from the audit and the literature on organizational communication.
Present an introduction that describes your research methodology and provides details of the survey administration, response rate, and characteristics of the survey population.
Develop a professionally-written narrative in which you describe the data using appropriate tables, charts, and graphs. Include a detailed analysis followed by a summary of your findings, using the example in the “Collecting and Analyzing Data” file below. Identify the top communication challenge from your survey, and present your recommendations to strengthen this communication challenge, based on the scholarly literature. In the appendix, present the survey questions and the responses for each question.
Your presentation should be professional and creative. Adding audio and/or visual elements on the slides is highly recommended. Text should be the proper size for viewing during a presentation. Your presentation will need title and citation slides. You must have a minimum of 3 reliable sources in your citations. Use APA format for the in-text citations you use to support your arguments. Don’t forget to check your spelling! As a friendly reminder, all words must be yours and your own typing. You may not copy text directly from a source
You may use presentation software of your choice. Examples include (but are not limited to): MS Powerpoint, Prezio, Animoto, GoAnimate
PLEASE NOTE: Your presentation software should not incur any costs. You are responsible for understanding how to use the software. You will need to submit your work in a format that can be easily opened by your colleagues and the instructor.
** Be sure to review the rubric for grading criteria before you begin working on and submitting this assignment**
Rubric Name: Communication Audit
Clearly describes and presents the purpose of the communication audit and the intent of the survey used to identify organizational communication patterns (e.g. to increase organizational effectiveness or as a result of a performance gap).
Presented a detailed description of the department or the organization surveyed, including the purpose, number of employees, internal and external customers.
Research Methodology –
Presented a detailed description of how and when the survey was administered (i.e. time and date, length of time for all surveys to be completed, facilitated or not facilitated, directions, survey format) as well as survey respondents.
Data Analysis -Survey Administration-sample size
Presented a sample size of more than 8 respondents. Data is clearly original and has been collected for the purpose of this assignment.
Data Analysis -Charts, Graphs and Tables
The results (raw data) of the survey are clearly shown in a table or chart. The data analysis is clearly shown through the use of tables, charts or graphs. The data clearly shows how the main issue was identified.
Identification of Communication Challenges
The critical communication issue in the organization is clearly identified and supported by the data as well as resources from the class readings.
Presents specific and appropriate solutions that are supported with class resources. The feasibility and priority of solutions is discussed.
Summary – Use credible reasoning and evidence in communication.
Concepts and ideas are fully developed and supported with credible sources. Reader can easily follow the author’s logic and reasoning.
Summary – APA Guidelines for in-text citations and References
The paper correctly cites in-text and lists at least three resources from course materials on the References page. If additional sources are used, they are included correctly. All references are cited and all citations are referenced.
Summary – Writing Mechanics
Strictly adheres to standard usage rules of mechanics: Conventions of written English, including, but not limited to capitalization and punctuation and spelling. No errors found. No jargon used.