Module Learning Outcomes
1. Explain the underlying legal principles of marriage, cohabitation and civil partnerships
2. Analyse the legal principles of nullity in marriage
3. Understand and apply the legal principles of dissolution of marriage, civil partnerships and judicial separation
You are required to produce an essay of 1500 words demonstrating you have met Learning Outcomes 1, 2 and 3.
It is in the public interest to uphold marriage by ensuring that spouses fulfil their obligations to each other and their children throughout marriage.
Critically discuss the statement above.
Requirement 1: Length and Structure of Essay
• Produce an essay of no more than 1500 words. The word count must be included on your submission.
• Your essay must include a title
Requirement 2: Conclusion
• Refer to question
• Appropriate conclusion (overall summary)
Requirement 3: Presentation
• Include references
• Include a bibliography
• Logically presented in paragraphs
Guidance notes and considerations
You will be introduced to a range of resources available and will be given the opportunity to practice researching case authority, however, it is important you continually update your action plan in your PDP to track your progress and identify areas for improvement.
Criteria for Assessment
Your work will be marked against the following criteria (for further details see attached grid):
• Depth of Knowledge (30%)
o How well do you show that you know the subject and in what depth and detail
• Application of Theory (30%)
o How well you can apply the content you have learnt during the course to the brief given
• Critical Analysis (30%)
o How well you show you have weighed up options, why you have chosen what you’ve chosen and how well you explain your reasoning
• Academic Rigour (10%)
o Your grammar, spelling, punctuation, referencing and following of academic writing criteria at undergraduate level (level 5)